Friday, July 12, 2013

Lacto-Fermented Mayo- Easy

I get a gallon of REAL (raw) milk from my farmers  Fall Creek Farms  every week.

See my post about lacto-fermented ranch dressing or lacto-fermented ginger ale for more info about how to make whey.

 Fermented Ginger Ale and Lacto-Fermented Ranch Dressing

Sometimes I buy their farm fresh eggs when I want to make mayo or creme de pot (recipe later)
If you can't get farm fresh eggs from a reliable farmer- use organic.

I warm my eggs... I don't cook them.  But I do let them sit on the stove over low heat while I'm getting all the ingredients together and warming the coconut oil.

I got the recipe from Food Renegade enzyme-rich-mayonnaise/
but tweaked it.

RECIPE
* 1 egg and 1 yolk (see above about eggs).  (Must be a room temperature or warmer- see above)
* 1 tsp sugar (I use white cause the bacteria in the whey eat it)
* 1 tsp of raw apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs)
* 1 tsp liquid whey
* 1/2 cup 'light' olive oil
* 1/2 coconut oil (warmed so it's a liquid)
* salt, paprika, & onion powder to taste
* Clean glass jar (pint size mason jar works great)

Put the egg and yolk, sugar, apple cider vinegar, whey, salt, paprika, & onion powder in a blender (the kind with the hole in the lid) and 'blend' it until smooth.  I use the lowest setting.

Then put the lid on (with the hole open), turn the blender on low and slowly add the oil.  Blend for just about 15 or 30 seconds- but less than a minute.

Pour into glass container.  Leave on counter for several hours.  Store in the refrigerator.

Lacto-fermented mayo (or any lacto-fermented food or beverage) is full of the good healthy gut bacteria that we need.

I will do a post about that later.

Here's info on how to pasteurize eggs.... copied from www.food.com
First off, set your eggs out until they become room temperature, about 2-3 hours, then in a pot use enought water to completely cover your eggs. Using a candy thermometer, bring your water to 160-165 degrees farenheit, place your eggs in the water for 3 minutes, then remove and allow to cool back to room temperature (all the other eggs you just pasteurized you can put in the frg), once your eggs are room temperature, continue on to make your homemade Mayonnaise.






Shared on  ....








No comments:

Post a Comment