Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY Citrus Cleaner

I love reading blogs.  I love the natural, healthy, DIY ones most.

I just had to share this 'cleaner' with my tweaks from Little House in the Suburbs (link below).

I had made a citrus 'enzyme' cleaner from Ecokaren (link below) but it called to add vinegar.  I wasn't crazy about the smell. But I don't like Tea Tree either.

AND.... how's this for re-purposing & reusing stuff......

KOMBUCHA
I make my own kombucha.  Wonderful stuff. Very healthy.  Extremely good for you.  I got my SCOBY from Hannah, the Kombucha Mama at Kombucha Kamp.  Kombucha is a fermented beverage.  Probiotic. Sweet and tangy.  It's a great detoxer.

At the bottom of the brewing vessel is yeast.  I have used this to make the best sourdough bread - ever.  I have made the collard greens using kombucha vinegar- that was the first time I ate collard greens (and I live in the south).  They were so goooood!!!  AND my citrus cleaner.

FERMENTED GINGER ALE
I get REAL milk from my farmer... I get whey from clabbered milk or by making paneer cheese (blog later).

I have lots of lemon and lime rinds left over each week.

RE-PURPOSED KOMBUCHA YEAST AND LEMON/LIME RINDS!!!


RECIPE

* Use a recycled plastic OJ bottle (since you won't be consuming this- the plastic is ok to use)  It should have a wide mouth and should be at least the 2 liter kind.

* Use about 6 cups of filter water (or enough to cover the citrus peels in the container) or let the water sit out over night to remove the chlorine.

* 1/2 cup white sugar.  White sugar works.  No sense on spending extra on yeast food. :)

* 1 tsp of yeast or 1/4 cup yeastie dregs from the bottom of a kombucha brewing vessel (plus you can scoop out the brown floatie yeastie pieces)

* 2 cups (or more) citrus pieces to fill half of the bottle.  (I use the lemon and limes from my fermented drink recipes.

* Funnel and cheese cloth

DIRECTIONS:

Add pieces of citrus to bottle- cut to fit through opening.  Pour in sugar through funnel.  Then add the yeast and water.  Cap tightly and shake several times.

Remove cap and let it sit loosely on the top.  Air needs to be able to escape.

Shake each day for the first 2 days.

Let it sit on the counter (or somewhere) for 2 weeks.

The container may bulge.  That's normal.

After 2 weeks... strain through cheese cloth into a glass container.

Put in a spray bottle and dilute with water.  

This can be used in the DIY Dishwasher Detergent, to clean bathrooms, toilets, etc.

Here is the list straight from Karen's web site of the uses for the Citrus Cleaner
  1.  for dishes and laundry (use 1/4 cup of enzyme)
  2. for washing bathrooms and toilets. grime comes off easily (1 part enzyme to 10 parts water)
  3. for removing stubborn stains and odors (colored fabrics and floors-used undiluted)
  4. to clean vegetables and fruits (1 part enzyme to 10 parts water)
  5. clear blockages in kitchen sinks and drains (use concentrated or blended pulp/sludge of enzyme)
  6. as a natural insect repellent (use undiluted) for ants, cockroaches
  7. for mopping floors (1 part enzyme to 20 parts water)
  8. as fertilizer for plants (use 1 part enzyme to 20 parts water, or use the leftover mop water)
  9. as a skincare product, e.g. facial cleanser or toner (1 part enzyme to 2 parts water)
  10. wash cars – cars will look as if they have just been polished! (1 part enzyme to 20 parts water)
As with any thing you try on a blog's site... test and adapt it to suit your needs.
OR use the little OJ bottles and tweak the above to make a small portion to try first! :)

FYI- Karen calls her an enzyme cleaner.  But over at Little House in the Suburbs there is a wonderful article that clarifies the issue regarding 'enzymes'.

Ecokaren


Shared on  ......


No comments:

Post a Comment